[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 15:55:14 PST 2011

The study's conclusions were that 45% of students showed no statistically significant gain in critical thinking after two years, and that 36% showed no statistically significant gain in four years. So, the upper level classes only got to 1/5 of those who made no gains in the first two years. At my school, in most majors, the rigor simply never kicks in.

----- Original Message ---- From: "123hop at comcast.net" <123hop at comcast.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 4:41:36 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

The discussion however, was about the first two years in college.

I remember those two years. Students have to take a lot of survey classes then. I remember a survey of all English lit in one year. I remember taking a philosophy of history class in which we read one book a week. I remember at the same time doing a comp class, which was basically a five page paper every ten days. And on it went.

I was fairly well read at that time, but I didn't have much "rigor" because I still needed to steep in the stuff -- having it become second nature. The rigor started more with the upper division classes, once that broad foundation had been set.

Joanna