[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

brandelune at gmail.com brandelune at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 19:51:08 PST 2011

On 28 janv. 11, at 12:33, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Well, we've got a generation of K-12 kids who score miserably on international tests, we're about the only country in the world where people in their 20s are not surpassing the educational attainment of people in their 50s, and a major chunk of college students are getting approximately nothing out of their experience,

That sounds very much like Japan right now. Especially for the "they can't read" part that kind of started this thread. A growing number of university students are not able to recall the reading of kanjis found in documents like newspaper articles, reference books etc. They can make sense of what's been read to them but not when they have to read it. Maybe it is limited to provincial institutions, but I would not bet on that.

> yet we nonetheless think we're pretty fucking great.

That's not a problem Japan has.

> I dunno, I see a problem with that.
>
> Doug

Jean-Christophe Helary

ps: I've been sending you private mails regarding a small donation and half a dozen LBO subscriptions after your xmas call but it seems they don't reach you. Basically I want to send you $200 for 5 pdf subscriptions for friends and 1 paper sub in Japan, and the rest you keep as a donation. Can you get back to me ?