[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:27:44 PST 2011

And so many have mocked the Panthers' Breakfast program. Over the years I have seen several ex-SWP people mock it as merely stupid imitation of China; same ones who also (also stupidly) mocked them as ultra-left. The SWP in its great period was also grounded in lies.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Joshua Morey Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:33 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Unfortunately each state (& county) does this differently, but if you can, look up the Youth Risk Behavior Survey results for your state, ignore the handwringing issues such as AODA, tobacco, sex, TV, video games, etc, and, if your state asked such questions, find stats related to food security, hours worked per week, hours of sleep per night, etc and organize the results according to student achievement. For my own region the results slap you in the face; here's a brief taste:

Students who received mostly A's - 76% never went hungry

mostly B's - 62% never

C's - 57% never

D's - 44% never

F's - 38% never

on the other hand, among students who received mostly A's - 2% always went hungry,

mostly B's - 1.5%

C's - 3%

D's - 4.5%

F's - 23%

Or, to look at it another way, among students who get mostly A's, 76% never went hungry, 12.5% rarely went hungry, 6.5% sometimes went hungry, 2.5% went hungry most of the time, and 2% always went hungry; meanwhile, among students who received mostly F's, 38% never went hungry, 31% rarely went hungry, 0% sometimes went hungry, 8% went hungry most of the time, and 23% always went hungry.

As for sufficient time for rigorous study (among high school students at least):

"During an average week when you are in school, how many hours do you work at a paying job outside your home?"

Among students who received mostly A's, 61% worked 0 hrs/wk

mostly B's - 57%

C's - 55%

D's - 56%

F's - 38%

On the other hand, among students who received mostly A's, 4% worked 13-20 hours/wk

mostly B's - 7%

C's - 5%

D's - 9%

F's - 16%

and among those who received mostly A's, 4% worked 21+ hrs/week

mostly B's - 3%

C's - 6%

D's - 2%

F's - 23% - nearly a quarter of the students who reported receiving mostly F's also reported working at least 21 hours per week.

similar patterns for breakfast, sleep per night, asthma, mental health, etc.

food for thought, particularly for teachers unions who are being threatened with "performance-based" evaluations and "commensurate" salaries