[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 28 10:50:06 PST 2011

Doug Henwood

On Jan 28, 2011, at 1:04 PM, c b wrote:

> I still think the ruling class doesn't want tens of millions of
> "analytical" and critical thinkers. They especially don't want a lot
> of critical thinkers. They remember well that many of the activists
> of the "60's" reform movements were students, critically thinking
> students. So, the state of education described by Doug above is not
> an accident.

I think you've got a point. Which is a way of saying that this situation matters a lot, and shouldn't be dismissed out of some faux populism. Doug

.=======

Well, if true, it has always been that way, there being only the haze of nostalgia that creates the illusion it has ever been different. My old geezer sitting in front of the general store and grousing.

Secondly, if true, it is actually rather worse than the study suggests. If 30%+ of college students achieve “critical thinking,” whatever that is, then our educational system is world-shaking in it revolutionary potential, and the ruling class better get to work fast to do something about it.

Thirdly, there is no evidence that “critical thinking” _follows_ rather than _precedes_ reading. As I have argued, with rare exceptions, leftist literature is only read by those who have been radicalized and are seeking to deepen their knowledge. Similarly, for the most part the only people that regularly listen to Fox News are those who are looking to have their own opinions strengthened.

Has anyone mentioned the obvious point, incidentally¸that it is the admissions office of colleges, not the faculty, that determines the charaver of the college’s output.

Carrol