[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 11:58:24 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Beck" <ersatzdog at gmail.com>

But I think your argument is interesting, even though the emphasis is wrong. The relevant point is not what the ruling class doesn't want but what they do want. Employers' demand people with quick-thinking skills, not deep-thinking skills, and extremely high and flexible social competence, not quiet, lonely contemplation. College students aren't literate because capitalists not need them to be (he said unambiguously). ___________________________________

Depends on the job. Technical writing, for example, requires pretty much all the skills needed in grad school. Being able to work alone, write books, do research, and triangulate between half a dozen contradictory interpretations.

I grant this does not describe most jobs.

Joanna