[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:25:44 PST 2011

Eric Beck

> I still think the ruling class doesn't want tens of millions of
> "analytical" and critical thinkers. They especially don't want a lot
> of critical thinkers.

Is there any demonstrable correlation between analytical and critical thinking (or educational attainment) on one hand and political radicalness and rebellion on the other? I don't see it. I think this is an article of faith that needs a serious rethink. I wonder how critically thinking the Egyptian rioters are.

^^^^ CB: My claim is based on an impression. I'm thinking sort of specifically of "the sixties" social reforms in the US. A big part of its mass activist base was students and teachers. And I'm thinking that the facts claimed by the study on this thread are the result of the ruling class purposefully dissembling the 50's/60's/70's state of education over the last 30 years in response to the reform and radical campus period.

Another part of the mass activist base back then was urban rioters. There was significant mass critical political thinking in the ghettos.

Perhaps the Black Panthers were an emblem of that.

Given the role of the internet and social networks etc in Egypt , there might be significant "critical thinking" involved. The reports are that these uprisings are based in secular populations, who may think more critically than Islamicists. But lets investigate.

^^^^^^^

But I think your argument is interesting, even though the emphasis is wrong. The relevant point is not what the ruling class doesn't want but what they do want. Employers' demand people with quick-thinking skills, not deep-thinking skills, and extremely high and flexible social competence, not quiet, lonely contemplation. College students aren't literate because capitalists not need them to be (he said unambiguously).

^^^^^ CB: I agree what the ruling class wants enters in here, too. Maybe it's both what they do and don't want ? I think your sketch of what they do want is a long term ruling class attitude: preparing factory rat mentality. My hypothesis might apply more narrowly to the "sixties counterculture" reversed by the trend starting in the 80's.