[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Joshua Morey amvojo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:50:15 PST 2011

[Responding to Doug's question re: the relevance of Carroll's earlier post]

I think carroll was responding to my (rather dry) message with stats re: student achievement and material needs, which, to me, seems entirely relevant.

The authors of the research being discussed in this thread reported that they found correlation between "critical thought, analytic reasoning, higher level skills" and the number of pages assigned per week - they are suggesting a rather simple, quantitative relationship. Indeed, it is a very believable conclusion.

I am suggesting, on the other hand, that material concerns inhibit or facilitate students' ability to engage in the quantitative rigor that the authors suggest cultivates critical thought - matters such as food security, a consistent & decent place to call home where they can rest/sleep, sufficient medical care, etc; data (discussed in my previous post) from research in my school district appear to strongly support this hypothesis. On Jan 28, 2011 12:23 PM, "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2011, at 12:27 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> And so many have mocked the Panthers' Breakfast program. Over the years I
>> have seen several ex-SWP people mock it as merely stupid imitation of
China;