[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:27:40 PST 2011

On 1/27/2011 10:33 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Well, we've got a generation of K-12 kids who score miserably on international tests, we're about the only country in the world where people in their 20s are not surpassing the educational attainment of people in their 50s, and a major chunk of college students are getting approximately nothing out of their experience, yet we nonetheless think we're pretty fucking great. I dunno, I see a problem with that.

I read the summary OECD volume on the PISA tests and this doesn't really square with my overall impression. Glancing at it again, I see that US students scored at the OECD average on reading and came in slightly ahead of Sweden and France. US performance really wasn't so bad. It almost always came out about average among the OECD, i.e., among the richest countries in the world.

SA