[lbo-talk] In solidarity with middle east revolutions

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 22:26:31 PST 2011

Yes, I think the women matter.

Remember "Battle of Algiers"? It's the women who have the freedom to move and plant the bombs.

And I forget whether it was 1905 or 1917, but one of the Russian revolutions started with a women's march for bread.

I think there are a number of reasons women are important.

1. When the women go out on the streets, this also brings the men out because they feel that they ought to have at least as much guts as the women; also it gives them a concrete reason to be out on the streets: to protect the women.

2. When the women go out, it means all or nothing.

3. When the women go out, the logic of "survival" changes into the logic of revolution.

As for the songs....sometimes I think the reason why they always cut art education first, is because the left has much better art than the right. And when you make art, or are engaged in it, you experience a different sense of agency and of the possibility of joy in work.

It was Che who said that a true revolutionary is guided by feelings of great love.

Anyway I doubt you'll ever regret your post.

Joanna