[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 14:08:19 PST 2011

[WS:] I doubt that too, but I think it has more to do with the format of Le Bac. It is an exam that requires writing as well as oral answers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccalaur%C3%A9at). US students pass multiple choice tests that require guessing the right answer from four options provided by testing authorities, while being under severe time pressure.

Multiple choice test requires no cognitive skills typically associated with academic work, such as writing, composing a train of thought, problem solving, conducting a research project etc.

The benefit of attending a private school in the US is the possibility of avoiding standardized multiple choice tests - which in my opinion is one of the most idiotic and counterproductive way of testing cognitive skills ever invented. They are a product of unholy marriage between racist pseudo-science (cf. Stephen Jay Gould, _The Mismeasure of Man__) and testing-industrial complex that turned testing into profitable business.

Public school students cannot avoid those tests.

If there were only one thing I could do to improve public education in the US, I would ban multiple choice testing.

Wojtek