[lbo-talk] Opinion piece in Haaretz

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 23:00:44 PST 2011

This article is pretty good at being what it is - the brand of liberal Zionism that is Haaretz' bread and butter - but no more. Notice the bait and switch: How many times does it mention the occupation of '67 Palestine as if that comprised the whole of Arab grievances against Zionism, rather than one small part of them? As if no Palestinian struggle already existed in 1967, when the Palestine Liberation Army hadn't already gone to war? As if '48 Palestine contained not a single Palestinian (which does seem to be the Zionist claim - notice their fondness for the phrase "Arab Israeli" - except during their periodic attempts to complete the ethnic cleansing of 1948)? Or as if there were no refugees, much less a quarter of the West Bank, three quarters of the Gaza Strip, and nearly the whole of the diaspora?

None of which is to say that the article was particularly horrible, or that nothing can be learned from it. But here's one recent NYT offering that springs to mind, which I would rank head and shoulders above it (and given time, I could probably think of more):

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opinion/29abunimah.html