[lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 09:10:48 PST 2011

Alan wrote: At the same time, my sense is that the class status, cultural commitments and intergenerational aspirations of parents likely trumps state funding of instruction and local education infrastructure funding when it comes to student "achievement" in schools. However, from my experience working in the realm of second and third tier public universities, it certainly feels like fewer students than 15 years ago approach college courses in non-instrumental fashion independent of the income strata of the community from which they come. This is not a totalizing statement - there were lots of just-get-me-through-this students before - it just feels like there are a lot more now.

Could you clarify what you mean here. I don't understand how student cultural commitment and aspiration isn't tied to how this developed as they progressed through poor schools. As Paul Willis showed in Learning to Labor, students are very adept from early on in picking up signals from teachers, parents and peers as to what they should expect to achieve at school and beyond (hell my high school advisor told me I probably had a very good future in the military. To which my parents told him to go F*ck himself).

Also, the point about the instrumental approach to college courses could be connected to the increased instrumental forms of evaluation of progress at all educational levels too. I am continually shocked by the number of times students ask me if there will be a review sheet for the exam and the shock they show when I inform there that there will not be. Clearly they have grown accustom to being told exactly what to study.

Brad