[lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International School Rankings

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 31 09:16:35 PST 2011

When I say "X is superior to Y," I am implicitly saying that both X & Y have the same function, purpose, goal etc. It makes no sense to say the New York Yankees are superior to or inferior to Belgium, or to say that this s tone is better than that bowl of oatmeal. I would like to see the evidence that the school system in Nation A has the same function/purpose as the School System in Nation B. Until this is established (and no one has tried in this thread to establish it) comparisons are meaningless.

Andre Gorz visited one of the elite Tech Schools in France, which qualified its students for very good jobs. One of the functions of hose tests referred to in this thread is to establish grounds to admit students to these schools. He asked "What do students learn here that they could not as easily learn on thejob?" The answer he got, after some thought, was, "Calculus." The next question was, "Will they need calculus on the job?" The answer was , "no." So the French tests are not relevant to much except for their usefulness in ideological justification of the school system.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Pollak Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 7:04 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International School Rankings

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The OECD says that U.S. schools do a worse job compensating for poverty
> than do other countries'. A major reason is the dependence on local
> funding, which reinforces rather than counters inequities.

That makes perfect sense. And it also suggests an explanation for why our high scores are so high (which surprised me): that local funding amplifier works in both directions.