[lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International School Rankings

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 10:45:33 PST 2011

Also, based on my experience with Oakland public schools:

Public schools in more affluent districts are able to use the PTA to raise money to provide art, dance, foreign language, etc. Schools raise anywhere from 10,000 to 300,000 every year. And it makes a big difference.

I routinely donated about $1000/year to my daughter's elementary school.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 8:51:18 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International School Rankings

On Jan 31, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> So are high school teachers in Tenafly, New Jersey paid the same as high school teachers in Englewood or Newark?

Dunno about that, but the per pupil numbers are all over the place. E.g., among our old neighbors in the Garden State, total spending per pupil in places like Saddle River and Northern Valley are around $25,000. Alpine is $29,000. But Fairview and Oradell are under $13,000. Newark is $23,500 - higher than NYC's $18,000. But all that special ed and remedial stuff is expensive.

The data's all here:

http://www.census.gov/govs/school/