[lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International School Rankings

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 31 12:21:55 PST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> This is completely weird. Alpine doesn't even *have* a high school. And Oradell is a rich white suburb with a fine school (I once dated a girl from there and waltzed in to see a movie in her class).
>
> I suspect this data has fundamental flaws.

The per pupil numbers are spending divided by enrollment, primary and secondary. All the raw data comes from reports to Census by the districts. Alpine has K-8, and it looks like those little kids are pampered. Oradell is K-6 - the 7-12 is shared with River Edge to make River Dell (and ain't that generic suburbia?). River Dell is around $17,000.