[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Israel's Facebook status

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Jan 31 16:54:29 PST 2011

FM: The American Empire's Suez Crisis?

----------

No. I was thinking about US, Israel, Iraq, Turkey all the power shifts that would result, IF the Egyptians make themselves a representative government.

It's reported that Israel agreed to moving some Egyptian troops into the Sinai and street reports that Mubarak was in Sharm el-Sheikh. I had to go read about Sharm. Beside tourism, there are some government complexes to host international conferences. There's some history of agreements with part of the Egyptian Israelis peace treaty I don't know much about.

Looking at a map, it looks like a safe keeping place for Mubarak and whatever loyal military brass he has with him. Nice international airport and a quick flight to Saudi Arabia.

I am just speculating.

Carrol writes:

``A representative democracy in Egypt will have one of two consequences: 1) It will 'come around' to toeing the line set by the U.S. and the EU

Or

2) It wi evolve, be replaced by, a fundamentalist theocracy, more or less `liberalized.' No democracy not approved of by the EU and/or the U.S. can endure.''

I pretty much disagree with both. (2)I don't see any version of a theocracy. Egyptians have watched religious civil wars in Lebanon and Iraq. All the slogans are completely secular

As to (1) I wouldn't bet on a representative government `coming around' since much of the resistance is against US and EU policies that Mubarak followed.