[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:14:57 PST 2011

On 1/31/2011 3:25 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Like I said the other day, the U.S. is about the only country in the
> world in which young adults are not surpassing the educational
> attainment of older adults. This is one reason why Robert Gordon
> http://faculty-web.at.northwestern.edu/economics/gordon/w15834_future%20productivity_100301.pdf
>
> is gloomy about our productivity future.

Another interesting point from the data I was citing is distributional. The younger adults' skills shortfall (relative to their predicted values) are concentrated toward the bottom but they're still visible toward the top. The average shortfall was about 20 points. At the 25th percentile it was about 30 points. But even at the 75th percentile it was still around 11 points -- i.e., a third of the score gap between 25th-pct and mean scores. In other words, even high-literacy US adults born in the 60s have experienced much smaller gains relative to their counterparts born in the 30s than in other countries.

SA