[lbo-talk] p.s. to my last post

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 17:19:11 PDT 2011

Michael writes:

"They mostly didn't want it. They were just looking to get their ticket punched. Understandable enough. I punched it for 'em, and felt fine about that."

You never know though. That's the thing about teaching. A lesson or insight might not register immediately....but eventually, it might.

"But otherwise, it wasn't much fun for me -- like being a kindly toll collector on the turnpike. That's why I gave it up. If I should ever have the opportunity to teach something I knew about, to people who were there merely because they wanted to know it too -- well, I won't say that would be better than sex, because nothing is better than sex. But it would be right up there with counterpoint."

Teaching at its best is erotic. A little bit because you're seducing them into opening up; but a lot because of the interchange.

Joanna