[lbo-talk] p.s. to my last post

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Jul 1 20:39:46 PDT 2011

I should have read to the end. When you say 'education' you do in fact intend something distinct from 'schooling', do you not? Quite right if so. Mike Smith

When I look back at where I was summer 1961 fresh out of high school and working and hating it, even if I was making money, I decided school was better than this shit. I was afraid of college, especially English. The one subject I enjoyed and was good at was Art. I also thought it had a great lifestyle meeting interesting weird people and enjoying the truly beautiful things in life like food and good painting. That's gotta be the way to go.

My first college level art class was kinda dumb baby stuff, but the guy teaching it was interesting and he like the Ashcan School which was pretty cool. I got to do some science fiction art, which was always fun for me. Later I got over this phase, nevermind.

Eight long, deeply fun, exciting and wonderful, although hard to live through years, I was out in the cold with nothing to do but get a job. I went back to carpentry. It was the only job that remotely resembled the kind of art I liked to do. Teaching was out. Art classes were the very first to get cut hard in the 1970s.

What was college good for? How to lead a good life on little or no money. It's its own weird reward.

Anyway that's what I mean by education. It's more of a philosophical word or outlook. It really is something like Socrates intended, and it is beautiful. You just have to get used to the weirdness and psychic dislocations, the non-bourgeois place you have to live.

So that's what I wanted to give back, and I had the perfect medium, the human body. Drawing class is a non-requirement everywhere except art and maybe design. It should be a requirement for everybody from engineering to sociology to law and especially math and physics not to mention medicine. In the deep history of human beings, art came with/before/after all of these specialities of culture.

Most people don't realize what the body tells us observers in figure drawing class where all this content takes place as we try to merely copy the forms, the long sinuesque of the arms and legs are also studies in motions and forces, the great blocks of the torso are architecture, the precision of the face and its organs of perception and sensation the primary instrumentation of most of technology, that complex and integrated organic system that brings us reality and makes it possible to explore the universe. And we haven't even got to the hands and feet (or the sex organs). You really have no idea what you are. Well it takes art to tell you, to spell out the story and its magic beauty...that puts the meaning to the Marxist idea that money is shit.

CG