[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 13:08:42 PDT 2011

At 12:57 PM 7/2/2011, lbo83235 wrote:

><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearls_Before_Swine>

Another country reference? How quaint.

You send a song by James McMurtry with a preface contrasting "your people" to the "refined urbane" crowd around here.

I'd venture McMurtry grew up in a more refined and urbane environment than a lot of people here, including myself. His father's a novelist and Stanford grad, his mother an English prof, and he himself went to the same private school in Virginia that one of Dubya's brothers attended. I don't think he's had his hand up many ewe's asses either.

I'm not saying this to attack McMurtry's credibility. I'm saying that the binary you're setting up is false and has been for a very long time. The thing that made country so good in the 50s through the 70s was people leaving the country and making their way in the city. Being comfortable in both those worlds is one thing that made the music so compelling.

My take on McMurtry has nothing to do with anyone's background.