[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 13:58:15 PDT 2011

"No offense, but I'm guessing you haven't been elbow-deep in a struggling young ewe during her first lambing season, or held another while she grieves her newborn dead twins. Not something one forgets. The sun itself casts a different light after that.'

"Elbow deep" = your arm is in the animal's vagina up to the elbow.

"struggling young ewe during her first lambing season" = struggling because she's giving birth, first lambing season = first time she's given birth

"or held another" = held another ewe, grieving the death of her newborns.

Is that OK?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Claxton" <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org, lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:37:54 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

At 01:32 PM 7/2/2011, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

>I've never helped an animal give birth, but just a second of
>reflection was all it needed to interpret that passage.

Really. I still don't get it.