[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 15:00:37 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

I'm not saying this to attack McMurtry's credibility. I'm saying that the
> binary you're setting up is false and has been for a very long time. The
> thing that made country so good in the 50s through the 70s was people
> leaving the country and making their way in the city. Being comfortable in
> both those worlds is one thing that made the music so compelling.

Perhaps Confucius summed it up best:

"The Master said, 'When native substance overwhelms cultural refinement, the result is a crude rustic. When cultural refinement overwhelms native substance, the result is a foppish pedant. Only when culture and native substance are perfectly mixed and balanced do you have a gentleman.'"

Something like that? Or completely off?