[lbo-talk] two reasons to celebrate 4 July

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 09:31:09 PDT 2011

Bhaskar asks of the Indian National Army: ‘Worth celebrating? I'm not sure on the whole their collaboration with Imperial Japan can be applauded, especially given the historical context.’

Didn’t Lenin take a lift in a sealed train? Many third world freedom fighters took advantage of the Japanese challenge to the British empire to advance their own cause, such as the Burmese and Aung San. ‘At least one can they say were militarily insignificant.’

Yes, 40,000 or so men and women in the field probably is not enough to tip the balance, but politically, the INA kept up the pressure on the British Empire as Congress did in India. I think it is largely accepted that the protests over the trials of the INA prisoners were what led to Britain’s eventual withdrawal. So, yes, I think the INA is well worth celebrating.