[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 12:06:49 PDT 2011

My take on the exchange wasn't that lbo90210's was claiming some sort of escape from alienation. It seemed more to me like Denise was claiming that someones lived experience didn't matter unless it was explained so that he, Denise, understood it.

I have often thought that part of the reason that the left has had such a hard time succeeding is because most of us and our leaders aren't the types of people with rich lived histories. Not that reading books are bad, but reading a book about a lived experience is not the same as living it. The right has lots more people with very thick characters based on lived experience. The left seems to devalue such things and aggrandise those with little actual experience and much book learning. I mean our main hero sat on his ass for thirty years in a library.

More class struggle. Yes please!

Brad