[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1618, Issue 1

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 16:59:03 PDT 2011

This is an odd formulation. Leftists can't simple "move their money" to "liberate" it. To attempt to do so would be to mimic the worst of lifestyle anarchists and liberals who think they can "vote with their dollars" and act politically by buying free-trade coffee, etc. The system is too large for that and imposes its own logic.

But you're right to admire the programs intimation by the pre-1914 SPD. But that was a *political party* and an opposition movement of the working class. They provided services that the state could not or would not provide and were important in building class consciousness. Comparing the disjointed, voluntaristic efforts of a few hundred or thousand or whatever Marxists to "enter the 'arena' of the market" to this is silly.