[lbo-talk] Schools and working people Re: p.s. to my last post

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 3 18:24:43 PDT 2011

Any kind of school system will reinforce inequality. There is no way to isolate a school system from the lives of those who operate it and those who attend it. But actually, I cannot understand the reason for all this attention to the school system. It is vital to protect the workers and enter into their struggles. Chatter about what the school systems do is mostly just that, chatter.

Carrol

P.S. I use "working people" rather than "working class" in my subject line because it is becoming increasingly important to combat the notion that there is such a thing as a "working-class identity" or a "working-class" culture. Until those notions are eliminated references to "working-class" are almost always seriously misleading as to the nature of capitalism. The statement "Q is a worker" tells one nothing whatever about that person but only indicates his/her position in a complex set of social relations.