[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1618, Issue 2

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jul 3 19:44:19 PDT 2011

On Jul 3, 2011, at 9:51 PM, John Glastonbury wrote:
> <…>
> I'm not saying this will change things overnight. I'm not saying it would
> even help in the direct political struggle...
>
> BUT, I am trying to think through certain problems…

And doing a pretty fine job. This may be needless: ignore the criticism that this or that speculation is “silly”. Pretty much all the problems and confusions of the world can be laid at the feet of serious people (as Paul Krugman has taken to saying, these days).

I often wonder if the opposite of what you suggest might be the better tactic. Rather than cultivating Left alternatives within the system, we should enter existing institutions (and I mean Goldman Sachs or the justice system, not the Democratic Party) and find ways to subvert them through a few clean surgical actions or use the gains to alter politics and public perception. Mark Cuban made a few billion dollars in a sucker deal he sold to Yahoo (for cash). A lot can be accomplished with that kind of cash. Scaife or Olin have done significant damage to public ideas with lesser sums of money. (Now, *this* is silly talk, I admit!)

Keep writing! Clear expression and honest exploration of ideas is always a pleasure. And if you decide to go ahead with the web site launch, I can help with tech and logistics and hopefully more.

—ravi