[lbo-talk] New York Start-Ups

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 17:03:12 PDT 2011

The other factor supporting productivity, of course, is that NY has the weather to keep you indoors and working.

But I wonder. I've been in Sillicon Valley since 1983. The people I work with made all this shit up...more or less from scratch. There really is an enormous amount of deep and textured knowledge here. And let's remember that hi tech is not about ideas -- it's about implementation and Engineering -- it's about extensibility, and reliability, and security, and scalability.....all problems that these people have been struggling with for over thirty years.

So. I don't know. I'm skeptical. The easy commuting is a good point, but how many entry-level engineers can afford NYC rents? And if they can't. They're still commuting a couple of hours a day.

Not saying I couldn't be wooed.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "// ravi" <ravi at platosbeard.org>

This is the new meme (see: http://l.ravi.be/iFONjP) going around: silicon valley vs “silicon alley”. They might as well point to Chicago, home of Groupon! I don’t buy it...