[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jul 4 21:47:25 PDT 2011

This is oversimplified. To begin our emotions are not simply reactions, but are in some sense produced and interpreted within any social context. More significantly, those structures are produced within a whole series of formal and informal institutions tied into the social reproduction of a society. The disrepute that prostitution is held within is tied to those complex structures.

> At the same time we say that the alienation of work, which is essential to
> capitalism, is not something learned but something genuinely felt by
> workers who have needs that this kind of work does not meet.

I'm skeptical of this division of the 'genuinely felt' and the 'learned.' Anne Fausto-Sterling does a good job showing the way that this assumed division constructs gendered and sexed assumptions. More significantly, I'm not sure why you need reference to some sort of 'nature' in order to challenge structures of exploitation and domination.

robert wood