[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 09:59:57 PDT 2011

Isn't the Marxist concept of alienation mostly about the product of labor, and the way we relate to each other via the exchange of commodities rather than direct social relations?

Yes, I looked it up last night.

I also thought it was awfully strange for Carrol to say that one is alienated at work, but no longer alienated when one returns home.

Isn't that the whole bourgois fantasy/lullaby about how you go out and sell yourself & then come home and be king of your castle? Idea being, that family life compensates for the loss of wholeness at work. But it seems to me that if that is the case, it results in a distortion of family life.

Joanna