[lbo-talk] Corrections & Response to DW

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 6 07:50:41 PDT 2011

Clearly I should have held up posting my "Response toM.G." for a few days and then revised it; I seem to have slipped into some unfortunate rhertorical habits again. Aolso, I've probably not read DW's posts carefully enough (there again, my eyes tempt me to do a quick judgment on the basis of reading fragments). Anyone who can make the distinction between content and authroiral persona is someone to take seriously.

And now I've spent some time trying to decipher the metaphor in "dissenting wren," which is complicated a bit by not knowing the gender behind it. But on the assumption that it is less serious to mistake male for female than female for male, I'll provisionally assume kDW's gender is female. Now to the metaphor. "Wren," a small, weak (?), timid creature - but _this_ wren breaks the mold: It stands up (a bird standing?) and declares No to the world surrounding it. (There is a passage in PL, I think Book 12, in which Adam declares that the weak are the strong.) This is a crude beginning, but it perhaps points adirection and warns us to be more careful than I've been in construing her posts.

I'm working of a revised version of "Response to MG."

Carrol