[lbo-talk] Fwd: Response to MG -- Was Poll....

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jul 6 14:32:58 PDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 3:05 PM, lbo83235 wrote:

> Take issue with his pissiness all you want, but, revolutionarily speaking, Carrol is a fucking saint. This is why I took issue with the pettiness of Marv's misfired message. Carrol is frequently pissy - sometimes viciously and even unnecessarily so - but on balance he's almost transcendentally self-aware and self-exceeding, and I've never seen him take a gratuitous cheap shot at anyone - on- or off-list. You guys just have way too many chips to recognise what an incredible source of wisdom and insight you have in Prof Cox. You're all still trying to be *right* - rather than trying to create the concrete conditions for the possibility of a non-barbarous future.

Carrol’s okay. He’s got a keen instinct. He may be painfully direct, and wrong at that, but never snarky or demeaning. I don’t agree with “Dwayne’s Law” so I do think that he would do well to drop characterising other people’s ideas as dumb or silly or whatever. But I realise I am in the minority on that sort of politeness, anyway.

And perhaps most importantly he doesn’t gang up. Old school!

—ravi