[lbo-talk] Fwd: Response to MG -- Was Poll....

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Jul 6 18:11:41 PDT 2011

It seems to me it's more politically effective to exercise similar caution in both instances - when addressing each other and outside of our circle, no matter how strongly held our convictions. Marv Gandall

Just some side points.

We live in what I would call extremely hatefilled times. Our government is committing war crimes every hour, the whole elite leadership class is not just corrupt, but outright criminals. Most of our information and media are packed with liars, manipulators, and propagandists.

I used to enjoy a few rounds of insult back in the Bad Subject list days. But those flame wars turned really ugly and destoryed that list and left several people as bitter enemies. One list member got stocked, and another lost his job. Somewhere along the way, the list picked up a really bad guy who did both of these petty crimes.

I just found out today that a local community email list got so contentious over who would win a transportation contract between local organizations that both sides stayed angry and at each others throat for months and months. Just today somebody on that list accused my boss of some slight and implicit discrimination he didn't do. So at our meeting we had to spend about half an hour sorting that out. I've got to go lurk on that list to watch.

I have to live in a political mine field. I made a joke about it. I was asked if I supported the idea of volunteers. Yes of course, as long as they've read The Communist Manifesto. Everybody broke out in laughter.

I am telling these stories because email is a weird place to spend time, and it does effect the `real' world in unexpected ways.

I am not too worried about LBO. Doug is a very solid judge of these things and so is Michael Perlman over on Pen-L.

CG