[lbo-talk] Nature, Alienation, Mediation, Values... oh, and "Natives, " just for fun

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jul 6 18:13:43 PDT 2011

I don't remember it being country-city so much as urbane and sophisticated and too texual vs da peepul - your people. where urbane and sophisticated is a lot of talk, theory, words and da peepul are, what?, not talk, not theory, not words but all about, i dunno, whatever the opposite of talk, theory, and words are for you.

i guess it kind of annoys me when someone talks about the place i'm from and reduces it to a simplistic formulation like that. that holding - for gawd's sake - domesticated farm animals so they can get their, what?, "natural" vaccines?, puts someone in touch with the "real" world. there's this bizarre incredulousness on your part, that somehow it's crazy not to be into your own particular theory as to what counts as political enlightenment, and to disagree is a sign that your interlocutor is, well, goshes: alienated. You: enlightened; Them: not so much. WTF kind of bullshit is that?

it's theory AND praxis, man.

my own experience organizing in a small town, working in a couple of different social movements, is that people from small towns *love* to talk. in fact, I remember this series of public forums we held in which the local t.v. station brought people from all walks of life together. the guy moderating had people read all kinds of stuff, including articles from academic journals. I remember thinking, "oh shit man. these people are working people. they don't have time for this." We're talking about what to do about the latest plant closing and how to fight a radioactive waste dump siting. WTF is this guy thinking?"

Well, he was right to do what he did. These people fucking loved getting together to talk about statistics, data, theory, ideas. They worked through the readings and connected them to what was happening around them. They begged us to find the resources to keep it going. They were hungry for the words that would help them articulate what they'd been thinking and living.

It was a beautiful thing man, to watch the dance of theory *and* praxis unfold.

the funny thing was, when I talked with these folks later, what became clear was that, while they loved this opportunity to get away from the constant demand to *act* mindlessly, to do anything at all just to do something, they were also insistent on distancing themselves from the conflict that was bound to emerge as they formulated different positions. The conflict produced a lot of anxiety, fear that differences would be too powerful to get beyond. And so, they kept talking about how what they loved was the time to "chat." They liked the idea that it was all a lot like sitting on the front porch on a warm summer evening, chewing the cud: talkin'. Nothing serious going on here, just chatting, just talking. Uncle Al spouting off and Aunt Caroline is gettin' fired up. But it's all nothing to worry about: just talkin'. Just watching fireflies in July, shootin' the breeze.

So, the butcher, the preacher, the welfare mom, the teacher, the secretary, the payroll clerk, the accountant, the real estate agent, the foreman, the factory worker, the mechanic... for all their access to experiences that supposedly make them more capable of grasping the Good, the True, the Beautiful - well, they liked everything to be just talk, too. They had their own way of avoiding unavoidably agonistic character of political praxis.

Finally, as others have pointed out: srsly? I have to like the music you pointed to since I you can't fit me into that shoebox you're carrying around to fuck my skeleton? Because I'm ostensibly from a certain place, because I'm not some academic constantly typing away at this list, I'm ona da peepul?

fuckmedead man. fuckmedead.

IOW, the really annoying thing is: just about everyone who's taken issue with you is 1. from the country or, at least, some pretty deindustrialized parts of the u.s. 2. not at all inclined to reject music, art, whatever because it's, ostensibly, not refined.

You don't know jack about the people against whom you've made several accusations (about not getting away from the computer and that sort of shit), and yet you've made these brash assumptions. And worse, you've insisted that you can speak for everyone from that sort of background and life, incredibly certain that, because of that experience, they would, natchilly, agree with you.

big stinky load of horse hockey.