[lbo-talk] Nature, Alienation, Mediation, Values... oh, and "Natives, " just for fun

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jul 6 18:44:14 PDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:
> We in the bleachers assumed this would soon peter out. But lbo is as tireless as he is obtuse and we in the stands have finally reached the snapping point. We want him to know if he's playing to the stands he's been an extravagant failure. We're not cheering him. We're rolling our eyes in mockery.

Michael,

am I in the bleachers too? If so, dare I say I was moved by the passion in lbo1729’s first post, understood his reference to LBO as urbane/what-not as a defensive gesture and not central to his point or motivation. I am most certainly not rolling my eyes in mockery. I do not have any credentials to play slapdick with (which I would think qualifies me for the bleachers!) when it comes to country, so take that FWIW. Responses from Joanna and Shag have been instructive as well, so this thread has hardly been a net loss to me. I don’t wish to grudge you and Dennis your outrage - you have your reasons. But we all get different impressions from these things.

—ravi