[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:19:42 PDT 2011

, Miles Jackson wrote:

> I think this the point where we diverge. For me, capitalism doesn't estrange workers from some geniune, natural tendencies that precede all social relations

^^^^^^^^ CB: Capitalism and all class exploitative societies alienate workers from the fruits of their labor. Importantly , these societies alienate producers from the products of their labor which fulfill natural needs or necessities unless the exploited classes supply the exploiting classes with surplus products. Meeting physiological needs is a genuine, natural tendency that is a necessary condition for all social relations. Meeting these needs is a necessary condition for social relations in the formal logical sense of _modus ponens_ and _modus talens_ (p implies q; logical implication) Social relations imply meeting natural needs; no meeting of natural needs , no social relations (p implies q; not q, not p) Social relations are a sufficient condition of meeting natural needs; meeting natural needs is a necessary condition of social relations.