[lbo-talk] Response to MG -- Was Poll....

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:05:51 PDT 2011

Angelus Novus c b wrote:

> He poses as a Marxist, but his basic approach is not Marxist.

Some of Carrol's main influences are Moishe Postone, G.M. Tamas, and the Black Panthers.

If those aren't "Marxist", well as the old man said, "je ne suis pas Marxiste."

^^^^^ CB: Do you mean "aren't" or "are" ? I think the old man would stick to his original statement. If those three _are_ Marxist, pendant "je ne suis pas Marxiste". By the way, Carrol is also influenced by Ezra Pound.

The Black Panthers were somewhat Marxoid, but not Marxist, even though "All Power to the People"comes from "All Power to the Soviets" and there was plank in their program for full employment. Carrol's reliance on Postone is one of the reasons I say he isn't Marxist. Postone is creative, but Marxism doesn't need creativity on the issues Postpone creates. Of course there is freedom of thought, but don't claim that in exercising such freedom you take Marx and Marxism along with you.