[lbo-talk] Response to MG -- Was Poll...

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Fri Jul 8 13:04:57 PDT 2011

You miss understand my argument at a basic level, and perhaps deliberately so. My argument isn't that Marxism is 'tired and worn' out, but the kind of basically religious claims that you make, are. The simple fact is that Marxist modes of analysis have multiplied and proliferated. Most of the positions of the current Communist Party would seem alien to the earlier formulation of the party, who frequently shifted doctrinal and practical positions quite quickly. You may not like that fact, but it is simply true. I brought up Balibar because he brings up this multiplicity in an very direct manner, not because I am an acolyte. There is nothing non-marxist about this approach. To put another way, the proliferation of readings and political approaches drawing from Marx's work and political legacy doesn't indicate that his work is dated or tired. On the contrary, it points to the work's continuing relevance. In this sense, we will continue to read and reread Marx's work.

I would make a second point, which is that a scientist involved in defending the continued usefulness of the approaches that Darwin or Mandel began developing would not erase the ways that those approaches have shifted given the developments in scientific thought over the years. It's not surprising that given the nature of capitalist accumulation, that methodology that Marx began has shown even more transformation. Indeed, the approach that Marx himself takes to a variety of questions shifted over the years. I've simply reached the point that I am willing to recognize that there are people who have spent a long time in both social movements and reading Marx who I simply disagree with. At the same time, their engagement with Marx isn't necessarily no more or less valid than my interpretation. Their value has to be judged on some other merit, perhaps their ability to help us understand the current situation or to make some sort of political intervention within it.

As a last note, I find very little in common with the variety of critical theoretical traditions that fall under the rubric of 'social construction' with the straw man that you have set up in your last paragraph.

robert wood