[lbo-talk] a nation of thumpers

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 09:36:29 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

I've been told by an alum of one that no one in any of the mainline schools
> of theology really believes in God in any literal sense, and mostly take the
> bible and such to be metaphors.

We're getting dangerously close to dissertation territory here, but what on Earth does "literal" mean in this context?

And leaving that aside, I know faculty at both General and Union Theological Seminaries who would beg to differ.