[lbo-talk] Christian Parenti: Pakistan One Year After the Floods

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 14:35:24 PDT 2011

On Jul 10, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I think you've answered your own question. It's the go-to mag for the next Dem hope.

Acknowledging Joanna's sadness, I'd say this is a pretty good example of the kind of depressing, snarky cynicism one finds all too frequently on LBO talk - the absence of which one could be forgiven for welcoming, and the responsibility for which I think one could be excused for laying significantly at the feet of our esteemed (and that's not sarcastic) moderator.

I've never really understood why one (including myself) hits "send" on posts like this - and despite your obvious brilliance, Doug, I'd say far too many of your own posts struggle to rise above this level. And, yes, moderation does carry a special burden. I mean, I get the sentiment, totally and absolutely. No question there. But what's the point in sharing this? Venting? Rather go throw rocks at the kids on the street. Just make sure there's no cops around. And ideally that they're not my nephews (lower West side, thanks). Or do you seriously think we don't all recognise how sharp you are? Or did you really think this was a substantive observation?

Aren't we all obligated to hold back the venting snark just a bit - if only in order to minimise our own contribution to the corruption of the youth? I happily distinguish snark from rant. I welcome rant. If you're pissed off, then effing (PG13) go for it: ratchet that shit (oops) up, scare the hell (PG13) out of us if you can. Swing for the bleachers. That I'd love to see: Doug Henwood hoisting the black flag, rolling up his sleeves and lopping off heads. Blood on the cheek (NC17?). God knows you've earned it.

But please stop with the snarky, defeatist cleverness.

Draw blood. Dig up some soil, piss on it, and pass it around. (Okay, okay - it's like I can't control myself. Maybe R?)

We know you can.