[lbo-talk] Bad Times and the Left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 11 08:26:31 PDT 2011

Doug writes: This is related to the argument I've been making for a long time - that crises are not good for the left, since they make people more defensive, insular, competitive, and focused on survival. Climate change is going to add a whole new dimension to this.

And Doug is totally correct. We disagree on many things but not on this.

It is no accident that the most serious threat to capitalism in U.S. history came in a period of great and rising prosperity and increasing free time.

Perhaps it is the steady downward pressure over the last 35 years on wages that is most responsible for left weakness during those decades.

Carrol