[lbo-talk] Krugman: "The question then is why."

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 09:49:01 PDT 2011

Jim: "If we could imagine the GOP in this country championing the preservation of social welfare programs like Medicare and Medicaid, while promising to preserve them precisely by purging all the "illegals" from them, then we could get some idea of what the far right in Scandinavia and some other European countries has been doing in recent years."

[WS:] This holds for post-communist EU members as well. Ex-communist turned neo-liberal, and the nationalist right (such as Slovak People's party, Hungary's Jobbik or Poland's Law and Justice Party) is seen as defenders of social welfare for native residents.

Also keep in mind that parties affiliated with the Catholic church generally favor "family centered" social programs and the principle of subsidiarity i.e. public welfare funding through privately delivered services.

Wojtek