[lbo-talk] Tea Party

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 12 04:55:09 PDT 2011

I believe someone said we all agree that the Tea party is not trivial.

Well, despite Chomsky, et al, I think it is trivial; I think that follows from glen Ford's view that what unites them is racism. Now racism is not trival, but a strong (and more or less open) racist tendency in U.S. "conservatism" is a constant: i.e. it's part of the terrain, and the 'new' form taken by the Tea Party does not add anything. I continue to believe, as I have since about 1967, that radicals should stop paying so much attention to the far right. It wasn't the far right that gave us the Wr on Drugs, the War on Crime, and the Effective Death Penalty and Anti-Terrorism Act.

Carrol