[lbo-talk] Tea Party

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:24:11 PDT 2011

brad babscritique

I continue to believe, as I have since about 1967, that radicals should stop paying so much attention to the far right. It wasn't the far right that gave us the Wr on Drugs, the War on Crime, and the Effective Death Penalty and Anti-Terrorism Act.

Carrol

^^^^

CB:The right-wing gave us the War on Drugs, and the War on Crime and the Anti-Terrorism Act.

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/politics/crime/crimewar.htm May 1972

The War on Crime: The First Five Years

Nixon and Mitchell vowed to turn the tide. "Operation Intercept" and three years later, it's their turn to face a fact of life: crime is rising, and law enforcement alone won't stop it.

by James Vorenberg

Five years ago the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice--generally known as the Crime Commission- reported the results of its two-year examination of crime and made more than 200 specific recommendations to overhaul our system of criminal justice.

War on Drugs
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The War on Drugs is a controversial campaign of prohibition and foreign military aid and military intervention being undertaken by the United States government, with the assistance of participating countries, intended to both define and reduce the illegal drug trade.[1][2] This initiative includes a set of drug policies of the United States that are intended to discourage the production, distribution, and consumption of illegal psychoactive drugs. The term "War on Drugs" was first used by President Richard Nixon on June 17, 1971.[3][4][5][6]