[lbo-talk] Engelhardt on Obama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:46:31 PDT 2011

This is certainly true. But I truly don't see its relevance to political activity. O.K. I've been snarky or something in raising this question in various ways -- ways that made it (irrelevantly; personal rather than political, and hence self-contradictory). But . . .

Why _do_ people want to keep repeating what is really obvious, in fact I would say the given. Obama is a true friend of capital. Capital is the enemy of humanity. O.K. Given.

Why keep scratching that scab? I really want to know: I'll still disagree about it, but I want to have some sense of why people do it. I do not think 'criticizing' Obama in any way advances left politics. I remember back in 1943 or so a bit of filler in the Readers Digest: "Help the war effort: Call Hitler by his right name: Shcckelgruber." Criticisms of capitalism or of u.s. policy or of Obama on this list really seem to me to belong to the same genre as the filler in the Readers Digest.

Carrol

Carrol