[lbo-talk] How we got from there to here

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:13:44 PDT 2011

This is interesting and it brings to mind one small item (though I can't cite a source): Joseph Kennedy said somewhere that if he would be willing to give up half his money if he were left to enjoy the other half in peace. That's only one remark from one person of course. And it's ambiguous: did he fear disturbances, riots, etc, or the actual confiscation of his property.

Of course, even if sometimes some capitalists and capitalist politicians do fear insurrection,the other half of my argument would hold in that large numbers of capitalists all the time are concerned (or in a frenzy) over _any_ imposition on their absolute fredom to do as the damn please. _That_ is richly documented in Morgan's book. The unending campaign against regulation of any sort is one of the hallmarks of neoliberalism. "Business-friendly climate" must reoccur constantly and was certainly one of the ways capitalists reacted reacted to the

On 7/14/2011 9:11 AM, Chris Sturr wrote: Carrol's remarks about whether capitalists ever fear threats to capitalism