[lbo-talk] Bernie Ecclestone

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 16:01:23 PDT 2011

Reading about his daughter paying cash for Candy Spelling's playhouse made me curious about Bernie Ecclestone. This is from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Ecclestone

In 2005, when speaking about Indycar racer Danica Patrick, he remarked "You know I've got one of those wonderful ideas ... women should be dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances."[25] Ecclestone later called Patrick to apologize, but repeated his comments,[26] before apologizing a second time.[27] Earlier, in February 2000, he said that women would never excel in Formula One, stating "she would have to be a woman who was blowing away the boys. ... What I would really like to see happen is to find the right girl, perhaps a black girl with super looks, preferably Jewish or Muslim, who speaks Spanish."[25]

Hitler controversy

In a Times interview published on 4 July 2009, Ecclestone said "terrible to say this I suppose, but apart from the fact that Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not, he was in the way that he could command a lot of people able to get things done." According to Ecclestone: "If you have a look at a democracy it hasn’t done a lot of good for many countries ­ including this one". He also said that his friend of 40 years Max Mosley, the son of British fascist leader Oswald Mosley, "would do a super job" as Prime Minister and added "I don’t think his background would be a problem."[28]

Stephen Pollard, editor of The Jewish Chronicle, said: “Mr Ecclestone is either an idiot or morally repulsive. Either he has no idea how stupid and offensive his views are or he does and deserves to be held in contempt by all decent people.”[29] In a subsequent interview with The Jewish Chronicle, Ecclestone said that his comments were taken the wrong way, but apologised, saying, "I'm just sorry that I was an idiot. I sincerely, genuinely apologise."[30] However, when Ecclestone was later told by Associated Press that the World Jewish Congress had called for his resignation, he said "it's a pity they didn't sort the banks out," referring to the financial crisis of 2007–2010, and claimed "They have a lot of influence everywhere."[31]