[lbo-talk] Reading busy or poorly designed sites

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Jul 16 19:27:20 PDT 2011

Responding to this old message since Carrol brought up the issue again in a post a few minutes ago.

On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Incidentally, the programs ravi suggested actually don't respond tomymain problem with web sites. I have no problem (usually) pastinfg the text and transferring it to my disk for manipulation. What I have troubale with is moving around a web page, since as soon as I expand it to make it readable, most of it is not on the screen. And expanded screens jump about uncontrollably.

I am not sure why Readability and/or Instapaper aren’t helping you. For instance, here’s the somewhat poorly designed pink-scare blog page that you just wrote about:

http://cl.ly/041o0Z1G1v020S1T2j0W

And here it is after one click on a Readability button in my browser:

http://cl.ly/1U160L1F3q3F223F2N1Q

And here is the same Readability rendered page with the font size jacked up two sizes:

http://cl.ly/45273O3w2v3I212j310v

I cannot believe that you are cutting and pasting text to your disk, to manipulate it in order to read it. This sounds masochistic and I hope we can find an easier way for you to read stuff.

—ravi