[lbo-talk] David Mamet turns right...

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 20:34:26 PDT 2011

I was terribly disappointed when I read about his transformation a few weeks ago. In the original piece, by Hitchens (I think), Mamet praised Glen Beck and suggested Sarah Palin was being persecuted by liberals. I am not a liberal, and I don't particularly care for them, but the likes of Palin and Bachmann are easy targets. I liked watching liberals drool over Paul Krugman's criticisms of George W Bush. Really? The man was/is the easiest of targets. Criticising Palin and Bachmann seems to be a form of self-absolution on the part of liberals; it as as if criticism of these people is sufficient (and, actually, the point!)

Krugman himself rehashes standard texts of liberal economists and has never been able to accept that, as Oakshott remarked, anyone who thinks honestly long and hard enough, may disagree with him. See his defence of child/cheap labour, and his arguments that only liberal capitalists can/should/are able to speak on matters of global political economy

Ismail Lagardien

Nihil humani a me alienum puto