[lbo-talk] buy v rent/ tax break?

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 13:10:57 PDT 2011

One thing to consider. If you buy a house you do indeed save something on Federal taxes. From what you say , your income is high enough for that to be a real benefit. But there is an important expense you might want to consider that can counterbalance that - maintenance. In an apartment major repairs at least are the landlords problem. Too lazy to google, but one figure I've heard is that that maintenance in a home you own runs at least 15% of your mortage. From people I know that sounds like a reasonable minimum estimate. In an older home it could be higher. Even if you do a lot yourself, you will run into stuff that just needs a professional touch. Also, if you do a lot yourself, that you are adding a lot you and RRs home workload. Hell forget maintenance, just the yardwork adds time, though a lot of people count that as recreation rather than chores.

Of course you are out from under landlords with your own home, and even though your ownership is in jr. partnership with the mortgage holder, mortgage holders don't micromanage you get on your ass over petty stuff the way landlords do. So plus and minus. In addition to financial considerations, you are adapting a lifestyle change with homeownership. A tradeoff to some extent of time for more control over your home. Fewer petty rules. More ability to shape your environment the way you want. But definitely less household spare time.